Saturday, March 24, 2012

Taste of Sweetness Saturday: Double Chocolate Banana Bread

 Thomas was able to spend five days at home this month (yay!!) and I really wanted to spoil him.  I made the chocolate peanut butter brownie/truffles, but also wanted to make something for breakfast.  Unfortunately, I ate most of it since he spent his time having breakfast with his relatives while I slaved away at work, but I doubled the batch so he could enjoy some in San Jose (which he forgot, and it's still in our freezer).

Here's the original recipe, which I adapted from.
 Double Chocolate Banana Bread

1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/5 cup apple sauce (no oil)
1 1/4 cups mashed bananas (about 3)
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 C flour
3/4 C whole wheat flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
 1. Heat oven to 350. Spray bottom of 8×4 inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
2. Beat sugar, eggs, and oil in large bowl at medium speed until combined. Beat in banana and vanilla at low speed. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl; beat into banana mixture at low speed just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
3 Spoon batter into pan. Bake 60-70 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely on wire rack.
 I don't really "mash" the bananas, I just kind of let the electric mixer do it's thing. I enjoy that more "rustic" banana appeal, but there's too many puns there, so I must walk away.

The bread was dense and filling.  I find most whole wheat breads similar, especially when using apple sauce over oil, but it was still great to have a slice (or two) every day for breakfast.

Thomas should come home more often!!

No comments:

Post a Comment