Thursday, January 12, 2012

Hawaiian Bread (Machine)

All liquids and salt, first
 I've been in a bread mood as of late.  I think it's because "winter" is finally here and it's dipping below 60 on a daily basis, and by the time I get home after dark, it's under 50.  It's time for nice warm bread for dinner, so I've been researching some new options and am gladly happy to try them all!  (EVERY DAY IN A ROW!!!)  Okay, I'm not that bad, but I would if I could!

Flour and Instant Milk with the Yeast Volcano on top
Ingredients for a "Sweet" Hawaiian Bread
(in this order for my machine, check yours)
3/4 C pineapple juice
1 egg (beaten)
2T Vegetable oil (oops, I forgot this!  Didn't seem to make a difference...)
2 1/2 T honey
3/4 tsp salt
I mixed this in my measuring cup first, then added it to the machine.
Next: 3 C bread flour
2T dry/instant milk
Make a little volcano hole and fill with (2tsp) yeast.



The yeast should never come in contact with salt or the liquids in your recipe, so it's always a good idea to layer liquids, flours/powders, then yeast.  I know that's how my machine works, and the yeast specifically states to not come in contact with the other two, so I'm pretty sure it holds true for most machines.

Then I set it for sweet, 2lbs, and light crust.


 3 hours and 10 minutes later - voila! I was getting worried that it wouldn't rise, but I have no patience for these things.  I've also learned to cover the top of my bread machine with a towel because it seems to help keep the warmth in while the yeast is doing its magic.  This recipe wasn't as sweet as I had expected it to be, but it was sweeter than your average white bread, so mission accomplished?
So good, and I was happy to make a PB&J with it the next day for lunch, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment