Saturday, June 4, 2011

New Orleans Fare

I was fortunate enough to spend five days in New Orleans for my cousin's wedding last weekend.  I had so much amazing food from so many different places, it's hard to pinpoint what my favorite foodie moment was, but I can tell you the one I had to work the hardest for...  Cafe du Monde.

While I only wanted coffee and beignets, the line to get in was atrocious.  While I didn't think to take a picture, I found one.  The line was like this for four straight days, and I went by at least twice each day.  It was a little disheartening. 

I did enjoy many places in New Orleans, and most of it was due to my awesome family (and their new in-laws) picking great places for the wedding festivities: Pat O'Briens, Antoine's,  and even the NO Board of Trade!

We tried to go to Port of Call, but there was a similar line out the door, and a lightening storm that made my mother threaten to leave, and then freak out when she had to walk down an unknown street.  (True story, she freaked out on a street corner and demanded a cab.  Meanwhile, she was on the corner of Bourbon Street!)

Luckily, we took the cab a wholesome three blocks to Snug Harbor, an awesome little jazz spot.  Dinner was good, and we cabbed it home through the pouring rain.

We crammed exploring, shopping, feasting, festivities, city, cemetery, and swamp tours, and copious sweating all within four jam packed days.

Finally, on our fifth day, with only 10 hours to spare, we were able to get a seat at Cafe du Monde.  Sure, it was 12:30 in the morning, but we procured a table before a line started to form again. (yes, there were people in line even at 1am.)

So, my lovely cousin Stephanie and I finally ordered beignets.   Granted, we still had our Long Islands in go cups to drink with them instead of coffee, but at that point, who cares?  Those little donuts were everything I could have hoped for, especially after longing waiting for them all weekend.  Of course, we were both covered in powdered sugar by the time we left, and we ended up sharing our tiny table with five other people, but it was completely worth it.  I even picked up a box of the mix on my way home through the airport.  I couldn't resist!

No comments:

Post a Comment