I know that they are uninspired, and generally predictable. In fact, even Thomas was unimpressed by this meal. Not because it wasn't enjoyable, mind you, but because it was everything in a pot all at the same time, and he's used to seeing these meals come out of my kitchen. (hehe, my kitchen... I couldn't even pretend to hold that title in our house!)
Regardless, I always look for a flavorful recipe when doing a one-pot dish. Otherwise, you could be burdened with a whole pot of bland. Also? As an added bonus? You can usually score tons of leftovers with a one pot dish, so you don't want to be riddled with bland lunches for the week.
The Recipe: Cheddar Broccoli Chicken Skillet
* I didn't have any Cheddar soup, so I used cream of chicken.
* Also, I added bell peppers and a can of Rotel (with the juice), both of which I had on hand.
* I replaced the instant rice with Jasmine rice, which we always have in the house. This changed my timing because it wasn't instant rice, so I had to add water twice to ensure that the rice was cooked through. If I had broth, I would have used that instead. Oh well. I'm a firm believer in going with what's on hand whenever possible.
* I probably also used way more cheese than the recipe called for due to 1) lack of cheddar soup, 2) I'm from the Midwest... extra cheese is a given
* The other given - fajita seasoning. It's a great, all around flavor for chicken. As of late, if there's any chicken to be prepped in the house, it has fajita seasoning thrown in for good measure.
The Verdict:This was an extremely easy week night meal to make. I would have taken more pictures, but it was truly so easy that I forgot to take photos along the way. Don't let the lack of pretty pictures, or the idea of a one-pot dish scare you. I'd definitely give this one a thumbs up, and Thomas agreed, too. That being said, as a follow up to my broccoli chicken braid, it was unimpressive in its presentation. It's a little give and take, they can't all be braided nights, but we can always have good food!