Friday, November 30, 2012
French Onion Mac & Cheese Bites
(But, if you haven't noticed how 'not normal' I am by now, is this really going to burst that bubble for you?? Probably not...)
I love the idea of individual serving sizes and cups, it keeps people from getting too grabby. I might have overcooked some of these, so don't mind the dark hues, just note that the taste is fabulous and take it from there!
1 T butter
1 T flour
1/2 C cold milk
3/4 C shredded Gruyere
2 T diced onions, lightly sauteed
1 C macaroni
freshly ground black pepper to taste
chives for garnish (optional)
1. In a pot of salted, boiling water, cook the macaroni until al dente and drain.
2. Heat butter over medium low heat in a sauce pan. When bubbly, whisk in flour and combine into a thick paste. Turn heat to low and continue to whisk until roux is cooked, not brown.
3. When the roux looks slightly grainy, add the cold milk and whisk. As the milk heats up, any lumps will disappear. Continue to stir over medium low heat until sauce is bubbly and thick.
4. Stir in 1/2 C of shredded Gruyere and onions, then season with pepper to taste.
5. Fold in macaroni into the cheese sauce. Spoon into lightly greased mini muffin pan and compress to help maintain muffin shape. Top with remaining gruyere and bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until tops are nicely browned.
6. Let muffins cool before removing. Garnish with snips of chives and enjoy!