And then, my gorgeous cousin made these poppers for me and I knew that there was no going back.
Seriously. They're that amazing!
1 lb of ground sausage (any you prefer)
8 oz of cream cheese (softened)
2 C shredded four cheese blend, divided (I used the Mexican mix)
1 lb of jalapenos, halved and seeded
1 green onion, finely chopped
Now the prep work on this takes longer than I would normally like, but know that it is completely worth it and definitely worth the try.
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
2. Brown sausage in a skillet. Drain and cool (slightly)
3. Mix cream cheese, 1 C of cheese shreds, green onions, and sausage in a bowl. The heat of the sausage helps to melt the cheesey goodness together.
*At this point, I paused. I put everything in a zip lock bag and stored it over night. I had already prepped the peppers and put them in their own bag as well.*
4. Place your stuffing into your halved jalapeno pieces.
6. Bake for 20 minutes until lightly browned and bubbly.
Serve immediately. Seriously, you might need to double up on this recipe. It's best to make more than you think you'd need. People will graze on these as long as they exist so be prepared.
** Extra tip: Wear gloves through the cutting, cleaning, and stuffing process, even if this seems overkill. Save yourself the embarrassment later when you wipe your eyes or something else and cause ridiculous burning sensations. **